Sunday, February 20, 2011

Doesn't cancer have an age limit??

We made our first out-of-town trip with a newborn when Tyson was just 3 weeks old. It was just for one day, but we packed enough diapers for a week. We headed out to Spokane for my first oncology gynecology doctor appointment. Tyson slept the entire way there, of course I knew as soon as we got there he would wake up and be hungry, which he did and was. This makes any new mom nervous.

As I walked into the waiting lobby I was a nervous wreck. I B-lined it straight to the receptionist. For some reason I was nervous that people would see me.... not sure why... we were all there for the same reason. I turned in all my paperwork they had previously sent me, like it was homework for the teacher. I made sure it was all complete exactly how they wanted. I went to find a seat in the lobby, as I sat down and started observing the room I realized I was the youngest person there. You could tell who the sick ones were. They had lost there hair and were covering their heads with scarves, or they were weak and feeble in a wheel chair, unable to use their strength to walk. And, they were all much older than I was. I started imagining what other people were thinking of me. "Is she at the right place?" "Doesn't she know this is an oncologist not a pediatrician?" "Oh, I feel so bad for her, what a shame." "So young..."

As we were waiting, Tyson, of course, got squirmy and wanted food. We took him out of his car seat to try and give him formula for the first time, that was a joke. He wanted nothing to do with it. As we took him out an older lady sitting next to us turned to coo at Tyson. She looked like she was in her 60's. She had lost all her hair and had a colorful scarf covering her head. She was kind and looked happy, despite everything I can imagine she's already been through. My nerves took over and I couldn't respond to her like any normal person. I tried to show a fake smile, but I'm sure she saw right through it. I was nervous for the upcoming appointment, but more nervous that Tyson refused to eat formula and needed to nurse him right away or all hell was going to break loose. I knew the minute I started feeding him they would call my name for my appointment. I decided to go ask them how long I would have before being called in.

They decided I needed my own room. Thank you Lord! I really didn't want to nurse Tyson in front of everyone.

The doctor came and found me while I was still nursing Tyson. She looked my age. Young and full of energy. She let me finish with Tyson and then took me to her office. She started explaining what was going on in my body and explained what our next step needed to be. She was the first person that looked me in the eyes and said "You have ovarian cancer." That's when it hit me. I started crying in her office. I also tried to stop crying in her office. I didn't want her to see me so vulnerable.

Our next step was surgery. We needed to find out if the cancer had spread or if it was contained to one area. We also needed to remove any chances of cancer coming back in the future. This meant everything had to come out.

I decided I needed a little talk with cancer. Aren't I too young for this? Too young to have to make these decisions? Too tired with a newborn to make sense of all this?

I realized I was saying "why me? why me? why me?" a lot. It must have been annoying. Even I was annoyed! That's when I knew I could handle this. That's why it was me.

That's when I also decided that I needed to kick cancer in the butt.


...

5 comments:

  1. "I decided I needed a little talk with cancer. " I love this Marquel! I've always had "talks" with my body or whatever illness I had when it was doing something I thought it shouldn't. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that does this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one!! Thanks Bekah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met you when your mom threw me a baby shower at her house (which was great, by the way). Your mom posted your BLOG on facebook and I just had to check it out because cancer has affected my life in more ways than I ever wanted it to. My mom passed away from lung cancer in 2006 and my 28 year old brother (now 30) was diagnosed with brain cancer in January 2009. The one thing I learned from them was how strong you have to be in these types of situations. My brother is so ridiculousy positive all the time and said the same thing you did. He believes God chose him for this illness because he is strong enough to handle it and from what I see from your BLOG and things I hear from your mom....you are too! So, I say kick cancer in the butt and show it who's boss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taryn,

    Thank you so much for your comment. It really means a lot to me that my words and views can possibly help someone else in the same situation (family or self). Even if just for comfort. I'm sorry to hear of your families battle with this disease. Have you ever been genetically tested? Its easy to do, and puts some peace at mind. Let me know if you would like some resources on how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not had any genetic testing. After my brother was diagnosed, I got scared went to my doctor. She said my mom's cancer was probably related to smoking and my brother's cancer was some fluke thing and I didn't need to worry. She said I could look into genetic testing, but doubted it would tell me anything. You are a talented writer and I really enjoy reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete