Friday, February 18, 2011

My first official test for cancer

I have had a huge amount of support and encouragement for writing this blog. I've also had a few questions I'll try to do my best answering.

Are you still sick? How did you find out? What were your symptoms? Do you think you'll meet Rob Pattinson someday through this blog? Yes, yes I do as a matter of fact.............................................. Now that that's been answered, we can get right down to it.

Ovarian cancer is one of the hardest cancers to diagnose. Its often found too late because the symptoms typically don't show up until the cancer is at a stage 3 or 4.

My story begins about 5 years ago. We decided to try for a 2nd child, nothing major, just "if it happens great... if not... okay" was our attitude. After about 3 years of this I started getting a little nervous (this should have been my 1st sign). I started seeing a doctor for unusually heavy bleeding (sorry guys) and started trying everything under the sun to get this under control (2nd sign). When I did finally get pregnant I miscarried. (3rd sign) The next few months after the miscarriage was a downward spiral for me, I wanted nothing to do with doctors (sorry husband) or hospitals. I started having a pain in my right side (4th sign). I, of course, ignored it.

I became pregnant again and was a nervous wreck the entire pregnancy. At my first doctor appointment I had an ultrasound done. This ultrasound found the culprit for the pain in my right side. Throughout the pregnancy it was monitored. They were unable to do any blood work to test for any cancer while I was pregnant and the true test was to go in and get the dang thing out in order to test it. We opted to have it removed at the same time I gave birth to Tyson.

This became my first official test for cancer. Results= POSITIVE.

.

2 comments: